Thursday March 22, 2012 - 11:08 PM


Man, I thought I was going to stump Mr. Robinson. I thought I’d have him. Because the television show that I raised in class today was “Survivor” - I thought for sure that there was no way that a reality-television show could have allusions to classic literature.

But he completely surprised me, saying “Oh, Peter, that’s a real easy one. There are so many other works that you could say a survivor-type show are based on, such as what is often considered the first novel of the 20th Century. Joseph Conrad’s ‘The Heart of Darkness.’ But there’s also ‘Robinson Crusoe’ by Daniel Dafoe or one of a number of other similar titles.

And then he paused, a strange glimmer in his eye, turned, quickly headed to his desk and started riffling through his large packsack until he pulled out a book of short stories. Then he started reading us the story ‘The Most Dangerous Game’ by Richard Connell. It’s about this guy who is shipwrecked on this island and meets this rich eccentric guy who owns the island and hunts humans for sport.

It was a spectacular tale. And there’s no stumping this guy. Every day in his class is like a new adventure. We seem to shoot off on these tangents. But everyone seems to be really enjoying it, and we do end up talking about different novels and stories.

I’m feeling a bit guilty to be enjoying English class so much knowing that Miss Hamilton is in the hospital in a coma. But this Robinson guy is really taking the whole class on this zany fun trip.

-- 3 Comments --
Trish said...
I'm so happy that you're enjoying your English class, Peter. What a great way to put aside the negative thoughts that have been plaguing you lately!
Kim said...
tish is right. focus on the positive!
Peter O'Mallick said...
Thanks, gals. I really am enjoying school and English class again. And it's been a really long time since I've enjoyed anything. That feels really good.