Wednesday February 29, 2012 - 10:16 PM


The guidance counselor at school wants me to talk about it. Wants everyone who was there to talk about it. Even though it wasn’t a school event, there were mostly people from our school there. So he has arranged these sessions with everyone -- they started yesterday, and we had another one today.
He wants us to talk about it.
But I don’t want to.
It’s funny, the only thing that I want to do is to try to find this old movie I remember watching with Uncle Bob several years ago. It was bothering me all week, because what happened reminded me specifically of a scene from a movie.
These past couple of nights I’ve been rooting through his DVD, Blu-Rays as well as his VHS tapes. He hasn’t completely replaced and updated his original movie collection -- shit, he even has a few movies on this format called Beta -- he told me that it was all the rage just before VHS players came out -- in my mind, VHS players and tapes themselves are ancient. But I haven’t yet found the movie I was thinking about. I keep remembering that there’s this old guy like whathisname from that show Aunt Shelly used to love, The West Wing: Martin Sheen. Or perhaps it’s Jon Voight or maybe that guy who was in Wedding Crashers, Christopher Walken. I do know that I saw it a long time ago. So the actor must have been quite a bit younger when the movie was made.
But it’s the scene I can’t get out of my head. Because it’s almost as if what happened was right out of that movie.
And I don’t think I’ll be able to talk about what happened properly until I can see that scene again.
I know it sounds nuts, but I need to do this. And I haven’t mentioned this to anyone. Because what would they think of this guy who wants to talk about a movie instead of the real thing that happened?
So I remember this scene from the movie. I remember it, but there are different images that don’t make sense together, almost like a dream. Maybe it’s really a few different movies or two different scenes that I’m thinking about and confusing them both in my mind. Who knows? Anyways, it’s winter. These kids are playing hockey on the ice of a lake. Then here’s where I’m not sure if I’m remembering a single scene from a single movie, or maybe different elements from different movies: There’s like this guy who’s mad at one of the hockey players, or else he has a vision that something bad is going to happen. I can’t remember which. Maybe it’s both because it is two different movies I’m remembering. I don’t know.
But the next thing you know, the hockey player breaks through the ice and everyone is standing around looking at him. And you can see him through the ice, banging on it, the air escaping from his lips. And everyone is standing on top of the ice, looking down at him, stunned. He can see them, they can see him.
And everyone watches him die.
That’s what it was like on Sunday. Sort of.
But I need to know what damn movie, or movies I’m thinking about. I need to watch that scene or those scenes so I can get those images out of my head and then properly talk about what happened.

-- 3 Comments --
Frank said...
Damn, I also want to know which movie that is from now.
Anonymous said...
Hey dude, it was Dead Zone with Christopher Walken.
Bob said... 
There is a similar scene in Omen (2?)