Wednesday February 15, 2012 - 5:14 AM


Valentine’s Day was harder than I thought it would be.

And I’m embarrassed to admit something that helped me get through it.

I don’t normally like pop music or top 40 stuff -- most of my favourite music tends to be stuff that was released a generation or two back. I do like some new stuff, but they tend to be alternative bands and not the kind of stuff that you’d hear on the average radio station. Maybe that’s why I like Q92 so much -- they do play new stuff, some top 40 rock and pop songs, but do a great job of mixing it in with a lot of the older things that I like: Led Zeppelin, The Who, Pink Floyd, ACDC.

Anyways, there’s this top 40 song from a few years back they’ve been playing in a semi-regular rotation on Q92 that speaks to me. It’s the song by Simple Plan called “Welcome To My Life”

Do you ever feel like breaking down?
Do you ever feel out of place?
Like somehow you just don't belong
And no one understands you
Do you ever wanna runaway?
Do you lock yourself in your room?
With the radio on turned up so loud
That no one hears you screaming

Yeah, I don’t really know much about their music, but this song says it like it is. These guys actually get it. I went and downloaded the song from iTunes and ended up just playing it over and over and over again.

To be hurt
To feel lost
To be left out in the dark
To be kicked when you're down
To feel like you've been pushed around
To be on the edge of breaking down
And no one's there to save you
No you don't know what it's like
Welcome to my life

Geez, my buddies, who have similar tastes in harder, edgier rock music would cringe if they knew I was up all night last night, playing this song over and over again.

But it helps. It really does.
 
-- 5 Comments --
Franny said...
That's a great song. (You had me singing there for a while.) If you have the time, try downloading "Life" by Our Lady Peace. You might like it.
Kim said...
It doesn't matter how you did it, just as long as you make it through. In the end that's all that counts.
Frank said...
Music can bring me comfort like nothing on earth. You need not care what other people think of your music, as long as it works for you Peter
Peter O'Mallick said...
I did download that song, like you suggested Franny. And it was pretty cool.
You know what, you're pretty cool, after all.
MaliceAD said... 
Have you heard "Never Tomorrow" by Imperative Reaction? Music can bring you great comfort in the most trying of times.