Wednesday April 11, 2012 - 11:52 PM


I didn’t go sit with my old buddies in the cafeteria today. I don’t know why. I mean, it’s been so long since I’ve hung out with them, and I don’t know why that is either. Actually it’s funny, because when I was going out with Sarah, I would sometimes sit with them and sometimes I wouldn’t. It was no big deal either way.
But lately, since our breakup, I haven’t made much of an effort to reacquaint myself into the group. Sure, I’ve still hung out and chatted a bit with Neil, Jagdish or Harley, but I can’t remember the last time we all went out as a group, saw a movie, got loaded, whatever.
In any case, instead of just sitting with the old gang, I waited around for Neil after one of his classes.
When he saw me waiting for him, the first thing he said was, “Oh oh. Does this mean that you’re ready to come out of your cave, Mr. Hermit?” Now, I’ve seen this with Sarah and her friends, but it’s a rare thing for guys to get snippy with each other for not calling, not hanging out, whatever. But Neil is one of those rare guys who can get away with it. I suppose it’s the same way that Harley can get away with being an asshole in some of the things he says and does, and we just roll with it. Or maybe the way that Jagdish can play stupid, and, even though we all know he’s probably smarter than the rest of us combined, we play along.
That’s the great thing about friends. Yeah, I’ve been absent, not hanging around much, and, like Harley said a few weeks ago “moping and sobbing over Sarah” -- but I know that when I’m ready to get back to normal and settle in with my buddies, that it’ll all be good like it used to be.
I didn’t end up asking Neil about what to do about Monica. We ended up shooting the shit. He started talking about that shit going on in the local news, a recent murder and that lead to other world news -- one of Neil’s favourite topics. We ended up making loose plans to go see a movie tomorrow night.
So, no, I didnt' end up asking Neil about the situation with Monica, but I did enjoy catching up with him. Besides, I'll likely have a chance to work it into the conversation tomorrow.

-- 1 Comment --
Kim said...
it's a start..and it sounds like your friends will be straight up with you in their advice. That's always important.